Monday, November 3, 2014

About the Reading Week 15



What did you like best about the readings for this class? Are there any general suggestions you would make about how the readings are set up?
I think the best part about the readings is that we have a choice of what we want to read each week. I like how the readings are set up but maybe you can list which are the harder and easier units to read based on the feedback you have received this year. This might help students make their choice each week. 

* Did you find some new reading diary strategies that you used in the second half of the semester?
I did not find a new reading diary strategy. All I did is I changed how much I was writing at the end of each story.

* What did you think of the overall balance between reading - writing - commenting in the class assignments?
 I thought the set up that you have is great. Mondays were sometimes a struggle to get the reading in but I got the reading done every week. 

* Do you think I should offer a reading assignment extra credit option? 
 I know last year you offered a early bird extra credit for the students working ahead. Basically if you finished the reading and the assignments before Monday of that week you got bonus but I did not see that this year. 

* As you look back from the end of the semester, what advice do you have for students who will be getting started next semester?
Main thing is start early and get at least a week ahead. You never know what will happen and that extra week of work that you did early will really help you later.

* adding more notes to the units (let me know what kinds of notes are most useful)
I think notes at the end each story would be helpful. I know that is a lot of work but sometimes I would get to the end of the story and be confused and have to go back to try to figure it out. 

* writing Introductions to each unit (right now, there is just the one-paragraph introduction to each one; I could write a more substantial introduction for each one)
The introductions were very useful but I agree some of them could use some more information in them.

* adding more images to the units (are the images important for you when you are doing the reading?
I love the images. Like I tell everyone when I am looking at their storybooks, the images are what set the correct image in the readers head the more you have the better the image will be for the reader.
  
* adding new units to choose from  (do you have any suggestions? some cultures/topics you were missing?)
I liked the cross over between the Epics of India class and this one. So maybe add more stories from that class. 

* creating "anthology" units on different themes across cultures: ghost stories, love stories, hero stories — with the stories drawn from different units to create new units (what kinds of themes would interest you?)
I really like the fairy tales, heroes, and prankster stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment