Monday, November 3, 2014

Essay Week 12: Alice in Wonderland



This week I read the Alice in Wonderland unit. Many people know about Alice in Wonderland from Disney, that is where I know it from. Reading Alice in Wonderland is a lot different than just watching the movie. There are little things that come up that you do not catch in the movie. This Alice in Wonderland unit is written by Lewis Carroll.  This is what Disney based their Alice in Wonderland off of. This unit was great. I would say that it is tied with Cupid and Psyche in my top units that I have read this semester. There was not a single story that I did not like. My only disappointment was the gap between Down the Rabbit Hole and Advice from a Caterpillar. The gap is that Alice is trying to get into a garden at the end of Down the Rabbit Hole but at the beginning she is not in the garden but instead somewhere else where she meets a caterpillar. At the end of Advice from a Caterpillar Alice makes her way to the garden we think she is headed to at the end of Down a Rabbit Hole. I was a bit confused and had actually thought that Alice had made it to the garden at the beginning of Advice from a Caterpillar and had written it in my notes that way. Then at the end of Advice from a Caterpillar we find out that she had not been in the garden and that she was about to enter the garden. That was my only problem with this unit. Maybe a not at the beginning of Advice from a Caterpillar saying that she had not yet made it to the garden would be good. I really enjoyed the Mad Tea Party stories. Even though what the characters mean is kind of hard to keep up with I thought this was quite an interesting part of the story.  

Myself as the Mad Hatter, My girlfriend as Alice, and a random Queen of Hearts.
Halloween 2014

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you mean about the gaps between story parts. I have encountered that in a lot of stories and it can be really frustrating. Ridiculously frustrating. You have to be sure and read the introductory notes at the top of every single story to make sure you catch the given summaries of what happens between the pieces so you’re not confused.

    ReplyDelete