Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Essay Week 10: Blackfoot Stories

This week I real the Blackfoot Stories by Grinnell. This story came from the Native American section of the UN-Textbook. This unit had a variety of stories within it. There were many single page stories but ended with a five page story. I thought this was a well put together unit. The variety kept the reading interesting and that made reading the unit easier. Some of the individual stories were short, about 300-600 words, compared to the average story which is about 1000 words. While I was reading the section I thought this was great. The shorter the reading the less time the reading takes. Now when I look back the stories, I am starting to wonder what was left out of the stories to make them so short. More details could be added to those stories to help expand the story. I did not think any of the stories were bad this week. There was not a single story that is my least favorite. I did however really like the Kut-O-Yis, The Blood Boy story. I think I have said this before but I like the stories that take up multiple pages in the unit. I think the extra length helps with the detail and excites me as a reader. When there are short story after short story, they seem to drag on and make reading the unit a lot harder. I also like the hero stories. Kut-O-Yis is just that. He is not your normal hero though. He just goes around and helps people who are suffering. I did not find anything missing in this unit. I did find a problem in one of the stories that I informed our teacher on and she has now fixed it.  Overall, I thought this was another great unit and I do not see any changes that should be made now. 

Blackfoot Indian Stories 
Web Source: UN-Textbook

No comments:

Post a Comment