Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Essay Week 9: Hero Tales

This week I read the unit Hero Tales (Thompson) in the Native American section of the UN-Textbook. This unit had 8 different stories. My favorite story was the Jealous Uncle. I liked this story because the character in the story was really smart and the story was easy to read. This story was about a boy whose uncle kills all the children that his parents have that are boys. With a little help from his parents and aunt at his younger ages, the boy is able to survive. He outsmarts his uncle many times and in the end kills him to end his parents suffering. I really like stories like this. I like to see how the characters can find their way out of a sticky situation. Another story like this is Bluejay and His Companions. This has the same type of outsmarting others in it as well. My other story I really enjoyed was Dirty-Boy. This story reminds me of the book Mahabharata from Epics of India. This story has two daughters to be won by completing challenges and so does part of the Mahabharata. I like these types of stories because I like how everyone doubts the underdog. In the end the underdog finds a way to win the event and in this case gets the girl. I guess I can relate to this because in many instances in my life I have been the underdog but I normally find a way to win. I didn't really like the Dug-From-Ground story. I was kind of lost throughout this whole story and it was kind of weird how the guy came to be born.  Overall, I liked this section. I would not say that it was my favorite but it goes to the top portion of my list of readings for this class.
Native Americans Web Source: Wikimedia

1 comment:

  1. I actually read this unit too and I felt the same way about Dug-From-Ground. Really the last couple of stories completely lost me. I actually find it funny that you said, it wasn't one of your favorites but you really liked it, because I think I put almost those exact same words in my essay! If you like stories like the Jealous Uncle, I could definitely see you enjoying this unit. I feel like several stories fit in the same style as it.

    ReplyDelete