Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Storytelling Week 2: Psyche Betrayal

There is one night that I know and remember the best while I stayed in the house of Cupid. He had married Psyche without his mother knowing. So to keep word from getting out, he would not let Psyche see him. He would talk to her and embrace her at night while there was no light inside the house. Psyche was fine with this because she loved his embrace and figured that she would eventually see her loving husband. Cupid found out that Psyche's sisters were going to cause problems and urged her to avoid them. Psyche pleaded to see her sisters and Cupid couldn't say no. Cupids only command was for Psyche not to reveal anything about him. Psyche talked to her sister and sent them on their way with handfuls of jewels and gold. This caused the sisters to envy Psyche and plan to ruin her marriage. This is what happened from the second meeting.

"Psyche  please let us great you," said the sisters. Psyche had the wind bring them to her. "Hello, sister welcome back to my home," Psyche said as the sisters were lowered to the ground. "Sister we are worried about you," said the sisters. "We have heard that you do not know what your husband looks like. You know what the legend said about your marriage." "I know the legend said I am to marry a demon but my husband is a lovely man," replied Psyche. "You have never seen him though! How do you know he isn't a horrible demon?" the sisters continued. "You should hide a lamp and a sword tonight. When your husband falls asleep, grab the lamp and sword. Cut off the demons head then come to us. We will protect you when you are alone." With that Psyche sent her sisters away.

Psyche had a scared look on her face. I wish I could have talked to her. Psyche turned around grabbed my handle and found a sword. She hid us behind the curtains and waited for Cupid. He showed up after darkness set in. They embraced each other and Cupid eventually fell asleep. Psyche got up and grabbed me and the sword. She lit my wick and the room lit up. She saw Cupid and knew she had made a huge mistake. She dropped the sword and took me over to Cupid. I tried to hold onto my oil but a little drop slipped from my grasp. The hot oil dropped on Cupids shoulder. He woke up in scolding pain. He noticed the sword on the ground and knew Psyche had betrayed him. As Cupid went to fly away Psyche dropped me and the room went dark. Both were gone and I was left alone. If only I could have stopped her but I am only a lamp.


Author's Note: I wrote my story based on the Cupid and Psyche story. Specifically parts 7-10. I wanted to tell this story from a different view. I chose the lamp because the lamp did have a firsthand view of everything that happened that night. This is also the picture used in part 10 (Psyche's Husband Revealed). I hope you enjoyed the story!

Bibliography: Book:The Golden Ass
Author: Apuleius, Translated by Tony Cline
Web Source: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche


3 comments:

  1. This was a very interesting take on how to tell the story! We all know that lamps cannot communicate, you even state this in your text, but yet it witnesses all that is going on. It's sad that her sisters ruined her marriage, it seems like that is sort of a lesson to take away from the story. Not to let any outside influences influence your outlook on your relationship, unless you truly trust these sources like Psyche had so it's a sticky situation. I was interested in reading this Unit for Week 3, and I think I definitely will now! Great posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did the same story!! It was really neat to see your take on the conversation the convinced Psyche - the sisters seem much more manipulative in this one. The lamp knows what's going on, but you can really believe that Psyche would buy into it, which was a bit of a problem in the original.
    The point of view was really interesting, but you might do well telling who it is a bit earlier on because since the lamp mainly summarizes and doesn't use personal pronouns much I started to think that was a mistake in the writing, not completely separate point of view. Also, generally when different people speak it's best to start a new paragraph, as it helps the flow and helps people recognize exactly who is speaking. But super creative (I'm just nitpicky like that) and I'm excited to see what more you come up with this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Colton, I really enjoyed reading your version of psyche and cupid. I really thought it was quite clever of cupid to only go see her at night so Psyche couldn’t identify him in the day time. I think cupid is cheating on himself here as he is cheating himself of his mother’s respect (although he thinks he is gaining it by obeying her) and his wife’s respect as really she is just a secret. She is almost a mistress but by title she is his wife. I think you done a great job, good for you. (Thumbs up)

    ReplyDelete