Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Week 1: The Adventure of the Un-Textbook

Week 2: I am a huge fan of fairy tales thanks to Disney. I think  Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche will be a great start to the semester. The story should get my creativity up and running. We will see how well the story compete with the great Disney story Beauty and the Beast.

Week 3: I think the Adam and Eve section will be a nice read. I have heard their story growing up from the Bible. I think getting more stories about them will help with my knowledge.

Week 4: My first pick is easily Ramayana. I loved this book last year when I took Epics of India. Rama was my favorite of all the characters that we read about. I would like to see what the brief overview is like.

Week 5: Arabian Nights will most likely take my week 5 reading. Aladdin is one of my favorite Disney movies. Since this reading will include Aladdin, I figure the story will keep me interested and make reading the story easier. I also like the kind of Inception feeling of stories within stories within stories.

Week 6: The Monkey King Sun Wu Kung caught my attention because monkeys are my favorite animal. Then when I read the blurb about the story, I became even more interested. I cannot wait to see what all Sun does that ends up making Buddha intervene

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you found some items that grab your attention, Colton - and I will be very curious what you think of this version of the Ramayana. It is super-condensed, as you can imagine, and you can see what you think about the choices the author made coming up with this version of it! Even though it is short, it has some material that does not show up in Buck and Narayan, like the demon Kabandha!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabandha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I forgot to say: definitely do the Monkey King! He is probably connected in some ways to Hanuman... you can see what you think about the similarities and differences! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly I would like to start by saying that upon clicking onto your page it looks absolutely awesome. I love the use of background color and text color. It really compliments your work. I think you are very organized in your work in terms of structure and fluency. Your writing seems very original and truthful in its opinion and I think that’s great.

    ReplyDelete