Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Essay Week 4: Ramayana

This week I read the Indian Epic Ramayana. I took the Epics of India class last year so I read two other versions of Ramayana. This version was the shortest of the three. So there were some major points that were left out. Overall, this version by Mackenzie contained the outline of the story. This would be basically your condensed version of the story. I thought the unit was very good though. I really enjoyed the Ramayana the last time I read it and I enjoyed it again this time. Rama is my favorite character from any of the other characters from the Epics of India class. That being said, I had to read this version. I was not let down. With each section the other versions came back to mind and filled in the gaps that this version left. If this was the first time reading Ramayana I would suggest to read at least one of the other versions from the Epics class. I really enjoy the golden deer section. I even wrote my storytelling about it. The fact that Sita has such an influence on Rama’s life is great. His love for her really shows in this part and when he goes to find Sita. Sita’s love for Rama is shown throughout the story as well. I also really like the battle part of Ramayana. Rama is such a great warrior which is seen through the whole story but the ending really shows his strength. Then at the end of this version you get hit with some of the biggest news, Rama is really the reincarnation of Vishnu and Sita is the reincarnation of his wife. I cannot even say how much I enjoy this story. I could read version after version and never get tired of it. 
Rama with Supanakha 
Web Source: Un-Textbook

1 comment:

  1. I'm really interested to hear your reasons for loving this epic. I read a large version in a World Lit class and hated it. Rama is just so GOOD - he has not one bad bone in his body until the end where he caves to peer pressure and makes Sita take a trial by fire. Plus his mad scene was a bit ridiculous - you can't help your wife (who's probably in trouble) if you're sobbing your eyes out.
    I agree that Sita rocks, but mainly for her end portion. Her love for Rama making her take such care for his social standing so that she refuses to get a piggy-back from a monkey to leave the house of the monster that wants to rape her? You live in exile, hunny, I don't think anyone will care. And I know they're both reincarnated gods but really. As I said in my essay maybe it's just the culture difference, but I found this tale ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete