Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Week 3: Famous Last Words

This week has been tough for me. I chose a unit that was hard for me to get through. I used up all of my ahead time just trying to get through all the reading and dairy post. Luckily today I was able to get a day and a half ahead. I hope to use this weekend as time to get ahead as well. I really enjoyed the storytelling I did today. I took a short story without a lot of detail and made a new story based off of it. I got to be pretty creative with it and I didn't think it was that hard to do. I read an amazing story told by Elizabeth Harper. She wrote about the same story that I did in week 2. She made a completely different story than I did though. We both read Cupid and Psyche but she focused on the bandits’ part of the story where I focused on the Cupid part of the story. Elizabeth’s story was very creative and written quite nicely. Her story was one of the best story telling’s I have read between the Epics of India class I took last year and this Mythology/Folklore class. She is truly an amazing writer. I get into my groove by brainstorming ideas about a story to tell while I am reading the story. I come up with many ideas and then throughout the next couple of days I come up with a story that basically writes itself. It’s all in my head I just have to type it into word. Manly to spell check myself and so I know that it meets the word limit. Then I find a picture and I’m basically done. It’s pretty much that easy. Hopefully it will stay that easy. My other classes have really picked up all three have had homework to do which probably helped make me lose my jump ahead but I will get back ahead. It will just take a little time.
Good Times Lie Ahead
Web Source: Wikimedia Commons

7 comments:

  1. Colton I definitely understand how hard it is to stay ahead when you choose a difficult unit! I think its great that you found a better unit this week and that you are able to use your peers stories to create your own. It's awesome when we can bounce ideas off of each other! Keep up the brainstorming and creativeness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Colton! I totally understand what you mean about getting caught up in this class. There are a lot of assignments each week and when other classes start picking up it can be really difficult to stay on top of things. I try to get ahead on the week's assignments, but with tests and OU/TX coming up it can be really difficult. It's cool how each of us can take any story and recreate it in a totally new way. I've loved reading people's stories each week and just seeing where their imagination takes them. I'm not the most creative person so it's interesting to see what everyone else comes up with. Have a good semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Colton! I am much like you in that I brainstorm my ideas of how I could retell the story while I am reading. This does make it much more easy to retell then afterwards. Additionally, I completely understand when you say it gets rough when work in other classes start picking up, because then it is hard to stay on top of things and I feel like I don't have enough time to devote to this class. I think you're smart for trying to work ahead though. I know I keep procrastinating things, and it is making it really hard for me to get through things. I think you're doing a great job though, so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Colton, I can totally relate with how it is when choosing a hard unit and this struggling through the reading. It can definitely be very time consuming. I hate it when that happens. I too am cramped for time and try to use as much of my time working ahead trying not to be swamped. This is definitely one of those classes you want to end up being behind in. Anyways best of luck with it all I am sure you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some pretty good advice to try and keep things in perspective when working on assignments. Personally, I have not been ahead in this class ever, so I kind of always feel like this. This work is so vastly different from anything else in my other classes that it is hard to make myself do it. I am pretty bad at remembering to do these assignments even though there is something to do every day. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has felt behind in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude I feel you're pain in getting behind in this class. I'm sure when you get the notification that I wrote this, you'll notice that waited until about thirty minutes before this assignment was due to get started haha. Maybe I'll be more like you and be able to get ahead. But probably not... Good luck with the rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Colton! I know you wrote this a couple of weeks ago, but man I totally feel you when it comes to getting behind especially when things in other classes are picking up! Mostly, I wanted to comment to say that I thought it was really great that you chose to highlight a specific writer in this class. There are so many people that I feel I've learned a lot from but I definitely think there are some that I've learned from more than others. I hope Elizabeth appreciated the shout out!

    ReplyDelete