Thursday, September 25, 2014

Week 6 Essay: The Monkey King

This week I read the The Monkey King unit from the Un-Textbook. This unit is about the Stone Ape that is very powerful that becomes the king of the monkeys and apes on his island. The Stone Ape starts to get into mischief which causes the gods to become worried that his powers would be used for evil. The Stone Ape’s mischievous side reminds me of Hanuman from Ramayana. The Stone Ape destroys the Netherworld city is a fit that he has. Hanuman is known to cause destruction around him as well. Hanuman destroys part of the city of Lanka by running around with his tail on fire. Both Hanuman and the Stone Ape are part of the monkey family. They are both skilled in battle and both defeat strong, worthy competitors. The two of them are also able to change their size as they please. I could actually see these stories based off of the same monkey. Maybe Hanuman really is the Stone Ape or vice versa. That would be a crazy twist. I really enjoyed this unit. I think I enjoyed the unit so much because the Stone Ape did remind me so much of Hanuman. Hanuman was my second favorite character from the Ramayana. I liked all of the stories but I really enjoyed both the Handsome King of Apes and The Destiny of Sun Wu Kung. The Handsome King of Apes tells about the beginning of the Stone Ape’s life, how he became king, and his first interaction with the gods. The Destiny of Sun Wu Kung story is about how Buddha is called on by the gods to settle the Stone Ape down. Buddha is able to do so and sets the Stone ape on his destined path. Overall, this is a great unit and it met all of the expectations that I had. 
The Stone Ape
Source: Un-Textbook

No comments:

Post a Comment